Monday, October 10, 2005

Movie Review - WAITING...

Director: Rob McKittrick

Staring: Ryan Reynolds, Anna Faris, Justin Long, David Koechner, Luis Guzman, Chi McBride, John Francis Daley, Kaitlin Doubleday, Robert Patrick Benedict, Alanna Ubach, Vanessa Lengies, Max Kasch, Andy Milonakis, Dane Cook, Jordan Ladd

IMDB: 7.2

The first time I saw the trailer for this film, I knew I must see it. I worked in restuarants for 9 years and always thought it would make a funny movie about what goes on in the kitchen, in the wait-stations and by the dumpsters. And just about every joke this film has, I've seen it or done it. Giving "special attention" to a plate of food that's been sent back, hell, I once knew a bartender that stuck his dick in some beeyatchs drink and stirred, before serving it to her. And after a customer leaves a shitty tip, catching him before he leaves and saying, "Hey you left this, you obviously need it more than I do." Saw someone do that too. The flirting with the underage hostess, Check. The lesbian bartender, Check. Busboys getting stoned in the cooler, Check. (cause you can't smell the weed in there.) I've pretty much seen it all.
But there's one thing here that I haven't seen. And it's the basis for the most gut-busting laughs in the film. It's pretty much the central running theme of the entire film. And I've NEVER seen it done in my 9 years of bartending/waiting tables. It's a game the waiters and cooks play called, "The Game." You learn about the game when they train this new waiter and have to show him the rules. I'm not gonna reveal what the game is, becuse it will be so much funnier when you see the film. Trust me. It's all about the game.

The cast is nothing special, but a reletive bunch of unknowns do a good job filling out the all the roles. There's the cool waiter that bangs underage girls, the neurotic waiter that feels like he's wasting his life being a waiter, the nice guy that can't say no to the waitresses when they ask him to take thier shifts (he's also got a hiarious problem with urinating in public bathrooms). There's the slutty waitress, the always on PMS waitress, the stoner, wannabe black busboys, the insane cooks, the wise philosophy-spouting dishwasher, the hottiest of the hot hostess, and the manager that has absolutely no clue that he is the lamest guy in the building. The film is shot in a Bennigans, renamed Shenanigans. It's VERY low budget and has no soundtrack to speak of. But you will laugh and laugh hard, especially if you've waited tables before. This film doesn't score a 7.2 on IMDB, for nothing, and that's a great number for a comedy.

The Sneaky Cheetah's Grade: A

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going see it tonight...I'll let you know what i thought tomorrow!!