Thursday, December 14, 2006

My Newfound Softball Career!



The Following was originally published on MySpace in May, 2006

Click here to see the WJLA/Newschanel 8 76'ers!

I finally don't work weekends for the first time in 5 years so I decided to join our company softball team, the WJLA 7/Newschannel 8 '78ers. We play in the DC media League which has 20 something teams, like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox News, CNN, AOL, Washington Post and many others. Little did I know I can smash a softball!
In game 1 vs. WTTG Fox 5, I was called in to pinch hit in the bottom of the 7th (we play 7 innings) with two out. I slapped one in to short center for a hit. Next batter struck out and we lost 8-4.

My strong hit resulted in a DH spot for game two vs WRC NBC 4. I hit the ball hard twice, but they landed right in the right and center fielders glove for 2 fly outs. I was then removed for a pinch hitter and we lost 11-6.
So today arrived and I took some BP at first, since my blazing lack of speed limits my range in the outfield. Only problem is we have two first basemen already who have both been playing for years. Oh, well.... I'll just be the Big Hurt and DH.

Game one vs. ABC News. I batted cleanup as the DH. I came up with a runner on second and smacked a double to center, scoring the run. I had a hard slide into second to get that double, probably my first slide into a base in 17 years. I did it like a pro though. Next batter hit a grounder to short, i waited on the ball and when the shortstop booted it, I took off in a mad dash to third. They made a play for me, but another super slide got me in safe. I was sucking major wind now, just getting to third, but then our next batter singled and I scored easily. When I got to the bench, someone said my slide at second was "awesome." I don't know if it was sarcastic or not, but I'll take a compliment. Next time up, i reached for a low pitch and muscled it over the shortstop's head for a single, but was stranded at first. Third time up, I hit a hot grounder up the middle for a single, then was removed for a pinch runner ,Ken Shaver, who's probably the fastest guy on the team. He eventuall scored and later scored the winning run in a 16-15 nailbitter.

Game 2. vs CBS News. We have 21 players on the team so we pretty much play two entirely different lineups for games 1 & 2. I was called on to be the first-base coach and we won 13-8.
I'm sitting here bloody, bruised and more sore then I've been since playing high school football. But the teams 2-2 and I'm batting .667 with a double, 3 singels, and RBI and 2 Runs.



I'm the BIG HURT.....RUUURRRRRRRRRR!

No comments: