Friday, December 15, 2006

Collective Soul Rocks Fairfax!




*Originally Published June 10, 2006 on Myspace*

So with the countdown to babies at about 3 weeks I need to jump on anything I want to do that doesn't involve playgrounds, doctor's offices or the wiggles, and lo and behold, Collective Soul was coming to the Celibrate Fairfax Festival Friday night, about 7 miles from my dojo. Alanna had to sit this one out, so I mobilized a group of about 7 co-workers and friends to party with, only to have them, one by one, drop out with some good excuses (my boyfriends dad's having surgery!) and some lame (I gotta work out). So I was Han Solo last night but that's ok, 'cause I'm a loner Pee-Wee....a rebel.

Got to the stage about 30 minutes before the show and got soaked by a 10 minute downpoor, which stopped right as CS took the stage. My second time seeing them (last time in St. Martinville, LA in 2001), and let me tell you, they are a great live band. They are faithful to their songs, but also throw in some timely crowd participation and not-too-long extended jams. They could only play until the fireworks show started so they got down to business right away and pummeled my ears for 75 minutes with a somewhat predictable (to a die-hard CS fan like moi) set. All the hits were there.

"Counting the Days," "How do You Love," and "Better Now" from their last album, 2004's Youth.

"Why pt.2" from 2000's Blender, (wish there was more from this album because it rocks!)

"Heavy" and "Run" from 1999's Dosage (My favorite CS album)

"Listen" and "Precious Declaration" from 1997's Disciplined Breakdown

"December," "Gel," and "The World I Know" from their self titled "blue Album', 1995

And closed it all out with "an old spiritual" : "Shine" from their 1993 debut.

They also threw in 2 solid new songs from their soon to be released new album.

I was about 3 bodies back from the stage and was taller then anyone in front of me so had a spectacular view. It was an "A" performance, the only drawback was I know they usually play longer shows, with some more obscure album tracks, but as soon as Shine ended, the fireworks began and that was that.

P.S. - Also, if you've never been to Celibrate Fairfax, it goes down in my book as the best executed festival I've ever seen. It's 5 or so city blocks square, all blocked to traffic, well organized, well policed, lots of parking in walking distance and overflow parking with shuttle rides, no lines at the pot 'o golds, $4 beers in a BIG cup, a massive "food court", multiple "Chicken-on-a-stick" vendors, seperate areas for children's rides and adult rides, and 4 stages with at least 2 bands performing at all times. Well done Fairfax. Well done.

P.P.S. - I saw a WUSA channel 9 booth (the compitition), so I investigated and spotted their sasquatch-like morning weather girl, kind of like the body of a NFL tight-end with Jay Leno's face. Always a topic of speculation with my morning crew, I walked right next to her to get some perspective and she is taller then me and our shoulders are very close in broadness.That's a lotta woman!

No comments: