Tuesday, January 11, 2005

DVD Review - ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGANDY

I love Saturday Night Live. I don't get to watch as much as I did a few years ago, but whenever I get the chance, or catch reruns on cable, I watch. And I'll make the argument that Will Ferrell was the greatest cast member ever (at least tied with Belushi). Every move he makes and word out of his mouth is comedy. Ferrell was good in Zoolander and Old School, but he's now getting leads and so far, with Elf and Anchorman, he's 2 for 2.

There's a reason this movie feels like an extended SNL sketch.Besides Ferrell, it was co-written and directed by Adam McKay, an SNL writer/director from the late 90's. The jokes fly fast and from all directions. It goes in directions you don't anticipate and I believe much of the movie was ad-libed. The actors spontaneously break into song, the movie slips into an animated sequence,
and in the most insane scene, rival TV personalities engage in a Gangs of New York/Gladiator style rumble.

Ron Burgandy is the anchorman in at the #1 news station in San Diego. He's the toast of the town and living big, until a his station hires a female reporter Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) who has her eyes on Ron's anchordesk. Insanely silly comedy insues.
The cast is incredible. Ferrell's Ron Burgandy is accompanied by reporter Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd), sportscaster Champ Kind (David Koecher), and weatherman Brick Tamland (Steve Carrell). The fab four of San Diego news have a solid rapport, and even sing in 4-part harmony. Keep you eyes open for extended cameos from Vince Vaughn, Tim Robbins, and Ben Stiller as rival anchormen and Jack Black as a biker.

If you don't laugh your ass off during this movie, you have no sense of humor. A day after I watched this movie, I wanted to watch it again. There's plenty of catch-phrases here that i'll be using for years(ala` Pootie Tang!). I think it's the best comedy since Spaceballs. And if you know me, that's saying a lot.

The Sneaky Cheetah's Grade: A+

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Anchorman when it first came out in the theaters. It really was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. LOUD NOISES!
Brittany